Quinoa is one of the new powerhouse nutritional super stars that everyone is talking about. Many people think quinoa is a grain but it is actually a seed that has been consumed for over 3000 years. It is a vegan, gluten free food perfect to use as a substitute for rice or pasta. Quinoa is a complete protein containing all nine of the essential amino acids. Quinoa is loaded with regularity inducing fiber with over 20 grams per cup. One serving of quinoa has about 37% of your daily iron needs- an important nutrient for blood health. Quinoa is also rich in magnesium, a mineral important for relaxation and blood sugar control. Quinoa is fairly low on the glycemic index making it a good choice for blood sugar control. Quinoa is also high in antioxidants to protect from free radical damage. All of the benefits make quinoa an important addition to a healthy diet.
Please see the recipe below for a super yummy quinoa containing chocolate chip snack bar.
- 2 1/2 cups quinoa flakes
- 1 heaping cup almond butter (I used a combination of almond, cashew and pumpkin)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (you could substitute honey)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup of chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place quinoa flakes in bowl with cinnamon, and salt.
- Heat nut butters, syrup, coconut oil and vanilla over low fire until well combined.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Add chocolate chips. They will melt if you don’t allow the dough to cool. I like them melted so didn’t cool the dough.
- Spread dough in 8X8 parchment lined pan.
- Press down firmly to compress the dough.
- Place in oven for 20-25 minutes depending on your oven.
- Allow to cool and then enjoy.
Photo from flickr.