I love this time of year for all the bright red, juiciness that is strawberry season. It makes me happy to see these nutritional powerhouses return to the grocery store shelves. Not only do I love the taste of strawberries but I love all health benefits they provide.
Strawberries are low in calories (only 54 calories per cup), have zero fat and are filled with regularity producing fiber (2.9 grams per cup). They contain potassium, vitamin K and magnesium which are important for bone health. A single serving of strawberries has approximately 150% of your daily requirement of vitamin-C which makes them amazing immune system boosters. Their bright red color signals their anti-oxidant rich status which neutralize the effects of free radicals in the body. Strawberries are also loaded with potassium and magnesium, both of which are effective in lowering high blood pressure. Be sure to buy organic strawberries as they are listed as having the heaviest concentration of pesticides on the Dirty Dozen list from the Environmental Working Group.
Below is a recipe for an amazing Strawberry Bread
- 1 3/4 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup fresh ground flax seeds
- 1 cup of almond meal
- 1 cup of coconut sugar
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbs of applesauce
- 1 lb of strawberries, stemmed and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Make hole in middle of dry ingredients and add strawberries, oil, applesauce and eggs.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, depending on your oven.