Good Morning and Happy Sunday!
I hope you have been enjoying the beautiful FALL weather.
Today I want to talk about how you can beat the cold and flu season by boosting your immune system.
There are quite a few reasons why people tend to get sick more easily during the “Cold & Flu” season. Understanding these reasons can help you avoid situations where your immune system will be compromised, causing you more prone to catching some bugs.
- Most people spend a majority of their time indoors during the cold weather season. Enclosed environment and close proximity with others encourage the spread of germs.
- High-sugar, high-fat “comfort foods” and holiday fares can weaken the immune system – sugar, in particular, can suppress immunity.
- Stress caused by the holiday season induces the body to produce corticosteroids, which suppress the immune system.
- Most people don’t get enough sleep during the holiday season, causing an increase in cortisol level and a decrease in immunity. Cortisol also makes us crave sugar, which suppresses immunity.
- Shorter daylight hours can cause “winter blues” – low psychological states can suppress the immune system.
- Dry weather reduces the moisture level of mucous membranes in the nasal passage, which are important in preventing unwanted bacteria and viruses from entering the respiratory system.
Now that we know WHY we tend to get sick more easily during “Cold & Flu” season, let’s take some ACTION and start adding in some Immune Boosting Foods to your diet.
Start adding these foods to your diet this week to start boosting your immune system:
Chlorella (this is my fav- if I feel a cold coming on pop a few chlorella pills with a glass of water and feel better instantly!)
Fermented Foods ( such as sauerkraut, kimchi, and pickled veggies)
Let’s stay HAPPY and HEALTY this season.
In Health and Happiness,