Last week we talked about foods that are healthy for your heart. Science has discovered that many of those same foods are also great for your brain health. The American Heart Association has identified 7 key actions you can take to promote cardiovascular wellness as well as keeping your brain healthy. Read below to discover the American Heart Association’s “Life’s Simple 7” to boost your overall health as well as your brain function.
- Manage blood pressure. Shoot for a reading of 120 over 80. Anything over that is considered above average.
- Control Cholesterol.
- Keep blood sugar in the normal range. Under 100 upon waking is considered normal fasting blood sugar level. When levels get higher than normal, they start to cause inflammation in blood vessels and nerves.
- Be physically active. Get at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity a week, or some combination of the two.
- Eat a healthy diet. Load up on fruits, bean, legumes, grass fed meat and veggies while avoiding processed foods.
- Keep your weight in the healthy range.
- Don’t smoke.
Photo from flickr.