After months of being stuck in our houses and having our routines disrupted, the world is finally starting to open. While we still need to be careful to stay healthy, restarting our fitness routines will go a long way to establishing our new normal. I cannot wait to return to the gym and I love that The Refinery is offering so many options to get back in shape. For those of us that are still playing it safe-the Zoom classes are still available. For the people who have been missing working out with their gym buddies- socially distanced classes in the park are here and finally for those who have been missing the amazing cycling classes- you now have a few options for smaller spinning classes. There is something for everyone! I know that such a long break from our normal routine may make it challenging to focus back in on fitness. However, here are five reasons to get yourself back to the Refinery.
- Exercise strengthens your bones. Weight bearing exercise like lifting weights, jumping rope, brisk walking and running makes your bones stronger. When you exercise regularly your bones respond by producing more cells making them denser and stronger.
- Exercise gives you a stronger immune system. Studies show that exercise helps move immune cells throughout the body so they can find and wipe out pathogens in the body. This boost only last so long so regular exercise is key to sustain this benefit to the immune system.
- Exercise improves your mood. Exercise helps release feel good endorphins to improve mood. Group exercise is especially potent because it has the add benefit of social interaction.
- Exercise helps with weight management and muscle definition. Some sort of movement combined with attention to food intake is important to maintaining a healthy weight. Weight bearing exercises and weightlifting help develop strong, healthy, well defined muscles.
- Exercise lowers your heart rate. Regular exercise lowers your resting heart rate by strengthen your heart. A stronger heart is more efficient at pushing your blood throughout your body.
These are just a few of the benefits you can get from regular exercise. I can’t wait to see everyone back at The Refinery getting their sweat on!
Photo from flickr.