I love that Portland is moving into Fall. It is such an amazing time for extending your summer here in Bridgetown. Not only are the days often beautiful, warm and sunny but it is a time of abundance for local produce. One of my favorite foods that is a by product of the Fall bounty is pumpkin seeds. Their nutty goodness has many health benefits as well as being tasty. Below are some of the reasons I love pumpkin seeds (also called pepitas).
- Help with hormone balance: Many naturopaths and other natural healers use pumpkin seeds in combination with other seeds to help balance hormones. It is thought consuming 1 tablespoon of ground pumpkin seeds combined with 1 tbs of flax seeds each day in the first fourteen days of your menstrual cycle and then switching to sesame and sunflower seeds on day 15 will bring greater hormone balance.
- High in magnesium to aid relaxation and sleep. (One ounce provides 37% of the RDI).
- Rich in protein and fiber to keep you feeling full longer and to fuel your muscles.
- Full of antioxidants like carotenoids and vitamin E to reduce inflammation and free radical damage.
- Pumpkin seed’s high zinc content may improve male fertility by improving sperm health.
- Pumpkin seeds are filled with a healthy mix of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. These fatty acids help fight inflammation, protect the brain, aid immune system function, and boost memory.
Pumpkin seeds are so versatile. You can eat them plain, sprinkle them on yogurt, put them in a smoothie, or add them to baked goods. What are some of the ways you like to enjoy pumpkin seeds?
Photo from flickr.