Rhubarb is a perennial vegetable that grows well in most of the United States. It’s beautiful red stalks are sold at farmers’ markets and grocery stores by the stalk, like celery. It’s harvested in the spring, with a short peak season from April to June. The stalks are the only edible part of the plant and in fact, the leaves are poisonous. Rhubarb can be very tart when raw and is almost never eaten without being cooked with a generous helping of sugar. Rhubarb is extremely low in calories but is loaded with fiber and other important vitamins and minerals. It is high in anti oxidants which help fight heart disease and cancer. An important vitamin in rhubarb is vitamin K. Vitamin K plays a significant role in brain and neuronal health. It can prevent the oxidation of brain cells and stimulate cognitive activity. It is also very important for bone health. Finally, rhubarb is high in Vitamin C, an important vitamin to help the body form and maintain connective tissue, protects against heart disease, prevents scurvy and helps with the absorption of iron.
Many people are unsure how to use rhubarb in their lives but this Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble offers an excellent introduction to this yummy plant.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble, GF, Vegan
- For Base
- 2 lbs of strawberries, chopped
- 1 cup of rhubarb
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbs of brown sugar
- For topping
- 1 cup of almond flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- 2 tbs chia seeds
- 4 tbs of coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In medium bowl, combine base ingredients. Mix well and then set aside while you prepare the crust.
- In medium bowl, mix almond crumble topping ingredients except coconut oil and crushed almonds.
- Warm up the coconut oil by putting jar in warm water.
- Add coconut oil and chopped almonds in the bowl with the crumble topping. Mix until a course crumb is formed.
- Pour the base into a 8 X 11 baking dish. Top with crumble topping and bake until bubbling and almonds are roasted.
- Bake about 30-40 minutes depending on your oven.
- Wait 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm or room temperature and include ice cream topping if desired.