Good Afternoon and Happy Sunday!
I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.
Today, I want to talk about the seasonal food, GRAPEFRUIT! I absolutely love grapefruit and feel that it is associated as being a diet food due to the popular 80’s Grapefruit Diet. Anyone else remember this? I might be aging myself here, but essentially you ate 1/2 a grapefruit at every meal and it was supposed to help melt off the pounds.
Now, I don’t necessarily believe that will happen, but I do believe that grapefruit is a great addition to your daily diet for multiple reasons.
Health Benefits of Grapefruit
1) Rich in Vitamin C- helps boost your immune system which is crucial right now with the colds that are going around.
2) Aids in Weight Loss- high in fat-burning enzymes that help boost your metabolism. Try eating a grapefruit a day.
3) High in Vitamin A– that helps to combat skin damage caused by oxidative stress. Protects skin from dryness, psoriasis, acne, and wrinkles.
4) Soothes Sore Throats and Coughs-mix some grapefruit juice with warm water and honey. This will reduce inflammation in the through and soothe the inner lining.
5) Helps with Insomnia- grapefruit contains lycopene which helps induce sleep. Try drinking a warm glass of grapefruit juice before bed for better sleep.
One of my favorite grapefruit varieties is the Organic Honeygold Grapefruit that is only in stores for a few weeks. This variety has a nice sweet but still tart flavor. So delish! You can find them at New Season’s right now.
Rotate grapefruit into your diet this week and let me know if you reap any of these great health benefits.
In Health and Happiness,