For many of us, Halloween kicks off the holidays and with it, a season of overindulgence. Food, fun and family are in abundance which can lead to feelings of guilt and shame when the new year rolls around. My clients often ask me how to manage this period of indulgence without derailing the health and fitness goals they have been working on all year long. Here are some ideas.
- Allow yourself to have some of what you are craving. Completely denying your cravings often leads to overindulgence and regrets.
- Choose your favorites and do not think you have to have one of everything.
- Sit down while eating. Taking a seat allows you to focus on what you are putting in your mouth so you can enjoy each bite.
- Check in with yourself halfway through whatever you are eating. Does it still taste good? Are you still hungry? If the answer is yes- keep eating. If the answer is no- feel free to save it for later or put it in the trash.
- Let yourself enjoy what you are eating. Chastising yourself for what you have eaten only leads to feelings of guilt which sets you up for a f*#k it attitude where you eat everything in site because you feel the day has already been ruined.
- When you have had your fill of something, feel free to save the rest, throw it away or donate it to someone else.
I know this is a challenging period for many of us but following these simple tips might make the season a little easier.
Photo from flickr.