We live in a world that demands much of our time and energy, making it easy to get stressed and overwhelmed by all we have to do. Given that life is always pulling us in a million directions, it is important to determine what we can do to maintain a sense of calm and balance. The demands on our time and energy are not going to disappear but following some of the tips below may make life seem more manageable.
- Work vs. Hobbies: For most of us, work takes up the bulk of our day, often leading to the feeling that there is not time for anything else. However, it is important to make time in your day to do the things you love- even it is only for 5 minutes a day. Incorporating pleasure in your day to day existence is a necessary component of life satisfaction.
- People you love vs. People you work with: Very few of us are blessed to work with the people who are most important to us. While work demands the bulk of our day, it is important to make a concentrated effort to reconnect with our families or friends in the after work hours. Even if it is only a quick text or a short conversation, being engaged with the people we love reminds us what is important in our lives and allows us to relax and recharge for the day ahead.
- Real food diet vs. processed foods: Focus on eating a diet filled with fresh, unpackaged foods in a variety of colors. These whole foods give our bodies the vitamins and minerals it needs to function at the optimal level.
- Sleep: Be sure to get at least 7 hours of sleep a night.
- Movement vs. sedentary: Try to move your body a total of at least 30 minutes a day. This thirty minutes does not have to come in one big chunk- you can divide it into 10 minute intervals if that works best for you.
These are some ideas to make your life feel more in balance. It may feel overwhelming to make all of these changes at once so try adding one change at a time until you find yourself feeling more relaxed and less overwhelmed.
Photo from flickr.