With many of us hitting the gym with renewed vigor in the New Year, finding that perfect pre-workout fuel becomes even more important. You want something that will fuel your workout without making you feel sluggish or too full to move. Chow on these simple suggestions for your best workout yet.
- Whole wheat toast with nut butter and banana: A combination of simple and complex carbs makes this combination a workout boosting all star. Slow release complex carbs from the toast will keep your motor humming, while the fruit adds an extra spark of energy. Protein from the nut butter delivers rebuilding tools for your muscles.
- Greek Yogurt: Greek yogurt offers a big dose of protein (twice as much as regular yogurt), is incredibly filling without being heavy, and it’s a highly portable snack. Skip the fruit flavored yogurts to avoid added sugar. Instead add your own fresh berries or other fruits for an added anti-oxidant boost.
- Smoothies: Smoothies are an easy, on the go pre-workout snack. Craft your smoothie from unsweetened vanilla non-dairy milk (or your favorite light milk), unsweetened frozen fruit, Greek yogurt and/or protein powder. Aim for 150 calories or less and avoid added sugar.
- Apple with a cheese stick: Apples have just enough calories and complex carbs to keep your energy from flagging, and a cheese stick adds a bit of protein and extra flavor.
- Oatmeal with nut butter and fresh fruit: Oatmeal’s complex carbs will stick with you throughout your workout by gradually releasing sugar into your bloodstream. While adding fruit to your bowl gives you added flavor and a touch of sweetness, a scoop of nut butter combined with the 5 grams of natural protein in a 1/2 cup of oatmeal gives you a little extra protein to fuel your muscles.
These delicious combinations will help you fuel up to make all your New Year’s Resolutions come true.