While today is incredibly hot here in Portland, I am so excited to move into Fall. One of the reasons I love Fall is the abundance of pumpkin on the menu. I love pumpkin just about any way possible. Because it is so yummy and offers so many health benefits, I included it in two different recipes on the ReSet.
Checkout some of the different reasons I love pumpkin:
- One cup packs two times the recommended amount of Vitamin A- important for good vision, strong bones and healthy skin and teeth.
- Pumpkins and their seeds are rich in beta-carotene and other antioxidants to help prevent cancer.
- Pumpkin is packed with fiber to help keep you regular.
- Pumpkin seeds are rich in the amino acid tryptophan which is important in the production of the feel good neurotransmitter serotonin.
- One cup of pumpkin is loaded with more of potassium than a banana. Potassium is important to keep our muscles functioning properly after a hard workout.
Checkout this yummy pumpkin dinner recipe from the ReSet:
The Active ReSet phase starts on Monday, September 19th. Follow this link to join us in this journey to vibrant health.
Pumpkin Quinoa Risotto
1 cup quinoa, uncooked (3 + 1/2 cups cooked quinoa)
1 large organic onion, finely chopped
1 large organic garlic clove, minced
1 tbs coconut oil
1 cup pumpkin puree
3 cups organic chicken stock or veggie broth, low sodium
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
3/4 cup (1.5 oz) organic cashew cheese
4 handfuls organic baby spinach leaves
Cook quinoa as per package instructions and set aside. While the quinoa is cooking, preheat large deep skillet on low – medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion and garlic, sauté until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add pumpkin puree, chicken stock / veggie broth, sea salt, pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes uncovered. Stir in cashew cheese until combined. Remove from heat and add quinoa and spinach. Stir gently to combine. Adjust thickness with extra broth.
You could add cooked chicken or shrimp to this to increase the protein content if you desire.