Good Evening and Happy Mother’s Day Weekend!
I hope all you mama’s out there are enjoying this special weekend. I sure am. I like to ‘milk’ this holiday and spread it out over the WHOLE weekend instead just one day : )
Speaking of MILK, today I want to share some simple tips to ensure that you are giving your bones the best chance to stay healthy and strong! And guess what….. contrary to popular belief MILK is not one of them.
- Eat plenty of vegetables, especially dark leafy greens (which are rich in calcium). My favorite is KALE, but there are lots of different greens to pick from- Collard and Spinach are awesome sources of calcium. Aim for five to seven servings daily and include cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. They are rich in magnesium, which are essential in bone formation and calcium utilization.
- Eat a moderate amount of sunflower and pumpkin seeds for the minerals and natural fats. These are both a great source of magnesium which is necessary for strong bones.
- Include a modest amount of whole grains for the fiber and complex carbohydrates.
- Eat a mix of plant-based beans and naturally raised animal meat for protein.
- Use unrefined coconut oil, extra virgin olive, flaxseed, and unrefined sesame oils for essential fatty acids.
- Avoid foods that create acidic blood pH – such as dairy, meat, sugar, and caffeine. When the body needs to balance blood pH, it will draw calcium from the bones – this can reduce bone density.
- Avoid soda – phosphorous from soda compete with calcium for absorption.
Focus on ADDING in those calcium rich foods and that will automatically CROWD OUT some of the other foods that reduce bone density.
Cheers to STRONG HEALTHY BONES!
In Health and Happiness,