Good Afternoon and Happy Summer!
Today we are going to talk about about HYDRATION. As the temperature rises and you are spending more time outside, it is important to keep your body hydrated.
The first step to keeping your body hydrated is to drink 1/2 your weight in ounces each day. If it is particularly warm or you have been super active add an additional 8-12 ounces that day.
The second step is to ingest some sort of probiotic daily. Foods and drinks rich in probiotics add healthy bacteria to your body. The addition of healthy bacteria to your belly greatly improves your digestion, improves your body’s ability to absorb nutrients, boosts your immune system, reduces the levels of toxicity in your body, and also supports your weight loss goals.
An easy way to get your probiotics in each day is to drink my all-time favorite probiotic drink- Kevita!
I love these sparkling probiotic drinks so much, but they are not cheap, so I embarked on making my own cultured drinks. And guess what? You can too.
Making cultured drinks can be labor intensive, feel complicated and possibly scary but let go of the fear. IF I can do it, you can do it.
Simple as 1-2-3 for Making Coconut Water Kefir
HOMEMADE COCONUT WATER KEFIR
Makes 1-4 Servings
ITEMS YOU WILL NEED:
- 4-cup glass jar with wide opening and strong screw-cap or swing-away lid.
- ¼ cup water kefir grains * (you can buy them at http://www.culturesforhealth.com/water-kefir-grains.html)
- 2 to 4 cups fresh Young Coconut Water or you can buy raw unpasteurized coconut water such as Harmless Harvest.
FILL JAR WITH YOUNG COCONUT WATER, and add your water kefir grains. Stir with a non- metal spatula as the metal with damage the grains.
Cover the jar loosely and allow the kefir grains to culture the coconut water for 24 to 48 hours (the longer the brew, the more healthy bacteria you have cultured).
STRAIN THROUGH A PLASTIC SIEVE and fill bottles with the cultured coconut water. Make sure the bottles are airtight.
Refrigerate and serve chilled.
To make lemon or lime coconut water kefir, add ¼ cup lemon or lime juice to 1 quart of coconut water kefir.
To make cherry coconut water kefir, add ½ cup cherry concentrate to 1 quart of coconut water kefir.
So besides making your own Coconut Kefir Drink, I also suggest whipping up a pitcher of my favorite Detox Water. This water combo makes me feel so clean and amazing that I call it my Health and Happiness water!
Hydration is the key to health. Yep, I am a water pusher and if you are trying to shed a few pounds quickly then upping your water intake will help.
Make your own Natural Refreshing Weight Loss Detox Water!
~ flush toxicity, add nutrients, and drink the weight away~
Not only can you flush away toxicity but you can add vital nutrients & minerals to your water with the following combinations:
Abby’s Health and Happiness Detox Water
- 1/2 gallon water
- 1 grapefruit, sliced (can substitute with one lemon)
- 1 tangerine, sliced (can substitute with orange)
- 1 large cucumber, sliced
- 10-20 peppermint leaves
- Ice – as much as you like
Rinse grapefruit, tangerine, cucumber and peppermint leaves. Slice the cucumber, grapefruit, and tangerine. Then combine all ingredients in a half gallon pitcher. Allow ingredients to sit as long as possible for maximum benefits.
Refrigerate your Detox Water for 4-6 hours and serve over ice.
If my Health and Happiness Detox Water doesn’t float your boat try some of these:
Detox Water Recipe Combinations
(1) Green Tea, Mint & Lime – wonderful to aid in fat burning and assist with digestion, combating headaches and congestion; also a natural breath freshener
(2) Strawberry – Kiwi – promotes cardiovascular health, immune system protection, blood sugar regulation and aids digestion
(3) Cucumber, Lime & Lemon – supports water weight management, reduces bloating, assists with appetite control, hydration and aids digestion
(4) Lemon, Lime & Orange – promotes proper digestion, added vitamin C, supports immune defense, reduces heartburn; enjoy this one at room temperature.
Enjoy your summer and stay hydrated!
In Health and Happiness,