Beets are one of my absolute favorite root vegetables.
They are not only beautiful but they are packed with:
- Vitamins A and C
- and Folate, which is key for new cell growth and healing
They also contain a unique source of phytonutrients called betalains, a powerful class of antioxidant that provides anti-inflammatory and detoxification support.
Now that you know that beets are a nutritional powerhouse let me share a few more reasons to give beets a try.
More Reasons to LOVE Beets:
- Increases Stamina and Endurance- a study at the University of Exeter in England, found that eating foods rich in naturally-occurring nitrates, like beets, improved endurance during exercise. Out of all the foods studied, beet juice had the greatest impact, improving peoples’ ability to exercise for 16% longer without tiring. Woo Hoo!
- Powerful Blood Builder and Cleanser- the iron helps blood transport nutrients better.
- Natural Colon Cleanser, removes toxins and congestion from the body/
- Lowers Blood Pressure- Drinking beet juice may help to lower blood pressure in a matter of hours.
- Potent Anti-Cancer and Disease Food- protects against heart disease, birth defects, and certain cancer.
- Boosts Immunity – rich in Vitamin C.
Bonus: I have also heard that eating beets regularly will help prevent varicose veins.
Beets are sweet, nourishing and versatile. You can enjoy raw beets grated on a salad or juiced, and cooked beets in salads, soups and stews. Remember not to throw away the beet greens, they are edible and a super nutritious dark leafy green. You can sauté the greens with a little olive oil, garlic and sprinkle of sea salt for a quick and easy side dish.
I love to add beets into my smoothies. They are super detoxifying, add a nice sweetness to the mix and the bright magenta color wakes me up in the morning!
Detoxifying Beet Berry Smoothie
- 1 medium beet, steamed, roasted, or raw (if you don’t have a high speed blender-Vitamix, use steamed or roasted)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tbsp of hemp seeds (optional- will provide 11 grams of protein)
- 1 tbsp of chia seeds (optional- will provide good ‘fat’ Omega 3’s)
Blend all ingredients together, garnish with hemp seeds.