Good Afternoon and Happy Sunday! I hope you are having a good weekend and sneaking in a little time for yourself as well.
The holiday season tends to be a little more stressful, action-packed and tiring than the rest of the year, leaving energy levels low and the need for an extra boost of energy several times a day. Sugar and caffeine are characteristically the go-to’s for that all too familiar needed boost.
If you’re being honest with yourself, what is your classic go-to when you’re feeling low on energy and need a pick me up? A Starbucks Latte? A cookie or two?
Lack of energy is also a result of all the food we pack into this season. After all, we have waited patiently all year to have Grandma’s famous holiday treats. With a few tweaks and tips, it is very possible to get through this season in one piece. Actually, it’s very feasible to get through it healthy and happy, too!
Tips to Boost Energy during the Crazy Holiday Season
1) Keep a snack bag full of raw nuts/seeds in your purse for when hunger strikes. 1/4 cup is all you need. Nuts and seeds are full of healthy nutrients to keep you satisfied, lowering the risk of being tempted to pop over to Starbucks or grab a handful of M & M’s. I love Go Raw Sprouted Watermelon Seeds.
2) Sleep! Get adequate amounts of sleep to keep your energy at a healthy level.
3) Hydrate! Make sure your daily water intake is keeping you hydrated. Staying hydrated will help combat stress, boost your immune system to fight those nasty germs off, and keep the cravings at bay.
4) Start your day with a healthy, hearty breakfast. Fueling yourself with healthy foods will keep your energy levels going throughout the day.
5) Want a sweet treat? Reach for the organic dark chocolate- 72% and above, or have a Chocolate Bliss Ball. Recipe below.
6) Practice the 90/10 approach. Fill your plate with 90% greens, veggies and clean foods — 10% indulgence. Enjoy!
Chocolate Bliss Balls
Makes approximately 12-14 balls
1 cup raw hazelnuts
3/4 cup pitted medjool dates
1/4 cup raw cacoa powder
1/8 cup maple syrup or coconut nectar
Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse/blend until crumbly texture.
Roll the mixture into approximately 1-inch balls.
So simple. So Delicious.
These balls can keep in the refrigerator for up to 7 days (if they last that long : )
Enjoy the holidays but remember to take care of yourself too!
In Health and Happiness,